Wednesday, May 14, 2008

When I get older...


I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Beatles song "When I'm 64" but it has always been one of my favorites. I have always loved the cute little tune and lyrics since I was quite young. "When I get older losing my hair many years from now. Will you still be sending me a valentine birthday greeting bottle of wine. If I've been out till quarter to three,would you lock the door?Will you still need me,will you still feed me,when I'm sixty-four?
This song has become a little to real the past few months and if it were written about me this is how it would go... " When I turn 30 gain 20 pounds and grow facial hair. Will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greeting and diet coke. If I can't stay up and watch Letterman, and I start to snore. Will you still need me, will you still love me, when I'm 34?"
So many of you have read my blogs about my running and running and training and training and the scale just seems to keep climbing! Not to mention all of the other lovely things that have been taking place that I am choosing not to share. Trust me you don't want to know!!
Well now that my marathon is over and my life is starting to settle down a bit I decided that I needed to finally see a Dr. and he told me I have PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. How fun is that!?! It is nice to finally have an answer even though it isn't really what I wanted to hear.
Here is what he told me: PCOS also known clinically as Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is an endocrine disorder that affects approximately 10% of all women . It is a hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, and is a leading cause of infertility.The principal features are weight problems, lack of regular ovulation and/or menstruation, and excessive amounts or effects of androgenic (masculinizing) hormones. The symptoms and severity of the syndrome vary greatly between women. While the causes are unknown, insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity are all strongly correlated with PCOS.
Here is what I heard: You won't be able to have anymore children, you are going to get fat and you are going to start looking like a man! Seriously did you not read that... excessive amounts of masculinizing hormones! WHATEVER!! A couple of months ago I asked Jake if he thought I needed to wax my upper lip. He laughed and told me No and that it would make it worse if I did. Up until this point I have never had to and come to think of it never had any hair on my upper lip anyway!! SERIOUSLY, you have got to be kidding me!! I should have known something was up right there!!! I think I need to buy stock in Bick...my mother in law tells me that the reason why oriental women have such beautiful complexions is because they shave. I sure hope she is right because throw wrinkles in with a beard and I might not be able to handle it!!
Honestly though I have so much to be grateful for. I may be making fun of all of this but I do know how blessed I am. PCOS is the #1 cause of infertility in women. I am so blessed that I didn't start having symptoms until the last little while. Some women are diagnosed with this at a very young age and either have a very difficult time getting pregnant or never get pregnant! I am so blessed to have 4 beautiful children. I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for them and am so grateful that he has entrusted them in my care. I am so Thankful to be able to be a mother.

5 comments:

The Cundick Family said...

Liz~ I just want you to know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I know that this news is hard to swallow and has been weighing (no pun intended) on your heart but I want you to know that I am always here for you. If you need a coke zero, a babysitter, some chocolate (who doesn't) someone to vent to, someone to laugh with when you get a flat tire, a shoulder to cry on..you name it I will be there. You are an amazing mother and friend and I love you. We are all faced with different trails in this life..“I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.” I love this little reminder. How shallow our lives would be if we had everything too easy....

Sue said...

Liz..I'm sooo proud of you...You just made a friend with your moment of truth..You agknowledged it, you embraced what you have.. Therefore it loses its power...Liz you could not be in a better place.(your'e already cracking jokes) You are strong, and have what you need inside of you to deal with this..You have everything that really matters..I love your honesty...

Brittany said...

Hey, I have a really mild form of this (they didn't know until they tested my hormones to try to find a cause for my headaches). It hasn't caused me any probs but they do have me on a daily med just to try to even everything out hormonally. Just wanted to let ya know... you're never alone!

Lisa, F is for Fischer said...

I'm sorry that I did not know you were going through all of this stress. if you need anything, please let me know!

Anyway, in case you DO turn into a man... I found this:



Why it's better to be a man


Your last name stays put.

The garage is all yours

Chocolate is a trip to the Dairy Queen.

You can be President.

You can never be pregnant.

You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park.

You can wear NO shirt to a water park.

Mechanics tell you the truth.

The world is your urinal.

You never have to stop to another gas station restroom because this one is just too icky.

You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt.

Same work, more pay.

Wrinkles add character.

Wedding dress $5000; Tux rental-$100.

The occasional well-rendered belch is practically expected.

New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet.

One mood all the time.

Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat.

You can open all your own jars.

You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness.

If someone forgets to invite you, he or she can still be your friend.

Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack.

One pair of riding boots are more than enough.

You almost never have strap problems in public.

You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes.

Everything on your face stays its original color.

The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades.

You only have to shave your face and neck.

You can play with toys all your life.

Your belly usually hides your big hips.

One wallet and one pair of shoes one color for all seasons.

You can wear shorts no matter how your legs look.

You can "do" your nails with a pocket knife.

You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache..

HA! I'm kidding, but I hope you had a little laugh!

Anonymous said...

Liz, I just wanted to share with you if you didn't already know. Lyndsey was diagnosed with this at an early age. She was told she would never be able to have kids. And she has 2 beautiful girls. So, I know you already have 4 children, but don't let the thought of not being able to have any more kids get you down. There is always hope, and you I am sure know that things happen for a reason, and only you and Heavenly Father know what the reason is.

I just wanted to share with you about Lyndsey. She was somewhere around 17-19 when she found out.

Hope all goes well.
Love,
Candisse

FAMILY
I love my family so much. To be apart of a family like mine is so divine, where love is shown hurt is shared our love for each other is never impaired. We talk we laugh we cry, but we are a family and we do it all together. For as a family we do it all as one you hurt one you hurt all and as a family unit we will all stand tall. For we are family a family full of strength a family full of love a family no one can touch. That is why I love my family so much.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.

Heugly Visitors