As if running a marathon in just over 2 weeks and being a mom wasn't enough I have decided to take on a new endeavor. I have blogged many times about my involvement with TNT (team in training) and strongly believe in their cause.
A couple of weeks a go I met a woman by the name of Lynor who ran the PF Changs marathon in January. Even though her marathon is over she is still fundraising for team in training. I was very amazed at what she has done and what she is doing. She actually sold her legs on eBay for her last fundraiser. She sold one to hope and one to memory. People actually pledged money towards her legs. She then wrote all of the names of the people who pledged on her legs so when she raced she felt like she was running for all of them. Why didn't I think of that?
She has now put together an amazing event at the Olympic Oval on April 12, 2008. It is called "Unplugged Fun". She wants everyone to bring back play clothes. She explained to me that when she was younger that she used to come home from school and change in to her play clothes and go outside. So many children now return from school and plop themselves in front of their computers (Hello Andrew and Christian!), video games and T.V.'s. This is becoming an epidemic! Did you know that the number of overweight children aged 6 to 11 more than doubled in the past 20 years, going from 7% in 1980 to 18.8% in 2004. The rate among adolescents aged 12 to 19 more than tripled, increasing from 5% to 17.1%.
Did you also know that Disneyland is even having to close down and renovate one of the most beloved rides ever. After forty-one years the whimsical ride It's a Small World is going to undergo many changes to shutter the attraction in January to give it a much-needed face-lift -- and deal with the delicate problem of bottoming-out boats.
Heavier-than-anticipated loads have been causing the boats to come to a standstill in two different spots, allowing for an extra-long gander at the Canadian Mounties and the Scandinavian geese, said Al Lutz, whose website Mice Age first reported the refurbishment plans.
"If these boats get stuck . . . they have to send someone back in there to lighten the load on the boat," said Lutz, who has been on the ride when a guest or two was asked to disembark.
"They've even built a platform next to that [Mounties] curve because they've had so many problems."
Disneyland plans to add an inch of depth to the water channel and design more-buoyant boats, Lutz said.
Perhaps in an effort to protect visitors' egos, the park insists that overweight tourists aren't to blame.
I myself am not the tiniest person and have to say that training a marathon hasn't helped much! I thought it would but instead have put on a few. WHATEVER! I have however gotten in much better shape, feel great and love running! I want my children to know how important it is to have an active life style. This event is just what they need. I am so excited to be a part of this and believe in it's cause. Not to mention 100% of the proceeds will be going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
It should be an amazing event with lots of unplugged activities for children of all ages. Please come out and support a wonderful event for a wonderful cause. By the way did I mention there are going to be great prizes and the Utah Blaze Mascot?!?! It is sure to be a BLAST!
"Unplugged Fun" at the Olympic Oval, Saturday April 12, 2008 1:00-5:00 p.m. $5 per person or $10 per family. What a fun and inexpensive way to spend your Saturday!










1 comment:
OOOH thanks for the details, I didn't know about this...I'll pass along the word!
Post a Comment