Wow can I just say WOW! Today was my teams 20 mile run. The furthest we will run until the day of the race. I could barely sleep last night anticipating today. I can only imagine how I will be on the night before the race.
I started strong and in good spirits and kept a pretty consistent pace. We started at 3100 South and ran the Jordan River Parkway to Gardner Village at 7200 South. This was our 10 mile turn around.
Just before the 10 mile marker my knee began to ache. I have been having a problem with my IT band, and if I can just say it is very painful. This slowed my pace for a moment and even started to play with my mind. Not to mention the wind was very cold and blowing against me, this really didn't help much. I have been training for 4 months now and I did not want to give up! My Ipod would have come in handy today but as a team we were asked not to use them. Thank heavens for good running buddies, good conversation and some very silly games to get me through! I have the most amazing team!
I finished feeling great and with my head held high! A little hot chocolate a banana and some cheering from the team and I was on my way! I could hardly wait to make it to the bath. I used 3 bags of ice this time and it felt great (well at least after my body was numb)! :)
What an amazing experience this has been. I have never been a runner and have truly amazed myself. Who seriously would have thought I could do this. I've always paid attention to people running on the side of the road, and to be honest used to wonder why some of them ever even ran. You know the ones who look a little awkward or a little out of shape or the ones who look like they just might die at any second. I know look at them with admiration and respect. At least they are out there trying to achieve!
So here's to 6.2 more miles and a roller coaster of an experience!










3 comments:
Liz can I just say WOW! I am truly amazed by you and what you have accomplished. You are an inspiration to me and I am sure to so many more. I am blessed to be able to call you my friend....Maybe some of it will rub off on to me:). I love ya, congratulations on the big 20!!!
Hooray! We did it! I read you post before I wrote mine, and now that I look at yours again, I see that I have no original thoughts! Anyway, how is your knee?
Liz, I've actually never met you, but I work with your entertaining husband. I just have to tell you how amazed I am at your determination and will to run so far! I am running a half and am worried enough about 13, let alone another 13 on top of that! Atta girl! Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment