Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"Hair" today...gone tomorrow...

A couple of years ago an Aunt and Cousin of ours donated their hair to locks of love. Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under the age of 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. They use the donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics.
This got Sammie thinking and she decided she wanted to help.
Sam has the most beautiful thick hair and for a while her Dad and I were not sure we wanted her to cut it. She was very determined and so after much thought we decided it was a great idea.
For the past few months Sammie has let her hair grow and grow and grow. There were many days and many snarls that made us question if this was really the right thing to do, but Sam kept insisting she was going to!
A few weeks ago we checked her out of school and spent the afternoon cutting her hair and styling her new short do! I honestly can't remember the last time Sam's hair was so short!
Sammie getting ready to wash her hair
Alison talking with Sammie about how she wanted it cut.


It took 5 ponytails to cut all of her hair! This little girl was definitely blessed with quite the head of hair!! If only her little sister was!?!
After the ponytails were cut. No changing her mind now!!

The final result!
We are so proud of Sammie! She is in love with her new hair cut even if some of the kids at school have told her they liked her hair better longer...LOL...got to love children and their honesty!
Someone is going to be so happy to receive her beautiful hair!
We are now anxiously awaiting her certificate in the mail that lets us know they received it.
WAY TO GO SAM!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

it's gorgeous!! the school i worked at all those years donated hair to LOL all the time- that's awesome!

Michael and Natalia said...

long or short - it's gorgeous!!! and so is she!

I have tried to donate my hair, but they turned me down, because of my highlights (bleached hair is the worst for further chemical treatments). That was sad...
When you first Facebooked about Sammy, I was sooo proud of her, I couldn't even express! I know that she just made a HUGE difference in someone else's life. What a noble thing to do! Way to go, Sammy!

Sue said...

In the next life I will have hair just like Sam..


sooo.... proud of you Sammy♥

FAMILY
I love my family so much. To be apart of a family like mine is so divine, where love is shown hurt is shared our love for each other is never impaired. We talk we laugh we cry, but we are a family and we do it all together. For as a family we do it all as one you hurt one you hurt all and as a family unit we will all stand tall. For we are family a family full of strength a family full of love a family no one can touch. That is why I love my family so much.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.

Heugly Visitors