You all know how I feel about blogging and would understand my excitement when a New York Times best selling author actually hit my site and left a message. Gregory E. Lang an author of many books left me a message on Wednesday and can I just say this put me on cloud 9. He is writing a new book called "Mom's Little Angel" and is taking submissions until August. I guess I shouldn't feel so special since he really wants anyone to submit, however he did personally leave me a message. I decided to give it a try. Hey why not, what could it hurt. I am attaching what I wrote. Please let me know what you think, and be honest. Well...maybe not exactly what you think I am still in the clouds! Maybe you should also give it a try. How amazing would that be to be able to have one of us published in his new book? Of course though you will need to let me read it, I am letting you read mine! Happy Writing and Happy Blogging!
Dear Greg-
I opened my blog the other day and was surprised to find a message from you. I am sure you visit many blogs but feel honored that you would actually take the time to leave me a message. I have become addicted to blogging and actually joke that it has made me a better mother. I no longer freak out at marker on the walls or mascara and lipstick all over my cute daughters face but laugh and grab my camera. I love journaling the lives of my children and am excited that I actually get to share my thoughts with you. I hope you enjoy and wish you all the luck while working on your next book. Thank you for your time. Elizabeth (Liz) Heugly jakeandlizheugly.blogspot.com
Today while dragging my four children on all of my many errands I was taught a very special lesson. My husband was out of town on business and I was exhausted. I was living on no sleep, little patience and had so many things to do. I had run all over town and the last stop was Great Clips. My children were in dyer need of haircuts. You know the children that look like nobody loves them? Those were mine today! On a usual day I wouldn’t have even left the house with my children looking the way they did, but we were desperate. Alex my two year old and youngest daughter had found an old dance costume of her sisters earlier in the day and refused to take it off. It was bright pink with roses and sequins, she thought she looked like a princess. A princess she did indeed look like. Cinderella that is, before her fairy godmother.
My mother would have never let me out of the house like this. How did she ever make” being a mom” look so easy? The house was always spotless; dinner was always ready at 6:00 sharp and always nutritious! I always had clean clothes to wear, I was never late to a lesson or recital, and she always knew just how to make any of my aches and pains go away. Growing up I used to take everything she did for granted. She was my house keeper, my personal chef, my chauffeur, my doctor. She was an amazing mother. A mother I have always hoped that I could some day be just like but often feel like I just don’t quite measure up to. It was because of my mother that I dreamed of someday having a family of my own. I want the same for my children, for my daughters. I want them to embrace this wonderful role we have as women. I want them to see the joy of being a mother. Yet sometimes among life’s crazy and busy schedules I feel like I am not doing my part, until today.
The day really couldn’t get crazier. The ladies at Great Clips were probably counting down the minutes until my sweet little family would FINALLY leave! My children were loud and doing the usual “MOM she touched me!” My two year old “Cinderella” was climbing everywhere and touching everything…until she saw them. The basket of dum dum suckers! Just when I thought things couldn’t get worse! Of course she wanted the pink one and was letting everyone in the store know it. I tried many things to calm her down but was determined she had to sit and wait until we were finished before she could have it. After many attempts of consoling her I resulted to the car, THE BIG SCARY CAR! Every child hates being told “I am going to take you to the car!” I guess I should have used this line earlier because it actually worked. She quit crying and wining and actually sat still. I then moved her off my lap and sat her on the chair next to me. I needed to check on my other children who had finally made it to the chairs to cut off all their long locks. I turned to my daughter and asked her nicely to sit still and as I walked away and reminded her again to be quiet while adding “fold your arms.” She looked quietly up at me with a huge grin and quickly grasped her arms together.
I was just finishing up my discussion with the hairdresser about what number of clipper to use when I noticed my little princess. She was not only sitting quietly on the chair with her arms folded but she had her head bowed and was saying a prayer. I am not sure what she was praying for, for I only heard the AMEN. Maybe she was praying for a new mommy or the pink dum dum , but she was praying. Everyone in the store was quiet. I was not the only one who had heard or seen her sweet little prayer. Everyone was touched. I was touched. My sweet little two year old in her princess dress with ratty hair was praying. I realized at that moment that I am like my mother. I may not be perfect at everything. Dinner may not always be nutritious or on the table at 6 sharp and the house may not always be spotless but my children know that God hears and answers our prayers. They know they are children of God and that they are loved. I always saw my mother kneeling by her bed at night saying her prayers and knew that she was praying for me just like I am always praying for my children. I pray that they know how important they are and how much they are truly loved.
I think Abraham Lincoln sums it up best when he says…All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
I opened my blog the other day and was surprised to find a message from you. I am sure you visit many blogs but feel honored that you would actually take the time to leave me a message. I have become addicted to blogging and actually joke that it has made me a better mother. I no longer freak out at marker on the walls or mascara and lipstick all over my cute daughters face but laugh and grab my camera. I love journaling the lives of my children and am excited that I actually get to share my thoughts with you. I hope you enjoy and wish you all the luck while working on your next book. Thank you for your time. Elizabeth (Liz) Heugly jakeandlizheugly.blogspot.com
Today while dragging my four children on all of my many errands I was taught a very special lesson. My husband was out of town on business and I was exhausted. I was living on no sleep, little patience and had so many things to do. I had run all over town and the last stop was Great Clips. My children were in dyer need of haircuts. You know the children that look like nobody loves them? Those were mine today! On a usual day I wouldn’t have even left the house with my children looking the way they did, but we were desperate. Alex my two year old and youngest daughter had found an old dance costume of her sisters earlier in the day and refused to take it off. It was bright pink with roses and sequins, she thought she looked like a princess. A princess she did indeed look like. Cinderella that is, before her fairy godmother.
My mother would have never let me out of the house like this. How did she ever make” being a mom” look so easy? The house was always spotless; dinner was always ready at 6:00 sharp and always nutritious! I always had clean clothes to wear, I was never late to a lesson or recital, and she always knew just how to make any of my aches and pains go away. Growing up I used to take everything she did for granted. She was my house keeper, my personal chef, my chauffeur, my doctor. She was an amazing mother. A mother I have always hoped that I could some day be just like but often feel like I just don’t quite measure up to. It was because of my mother that I dreamed of someday having a family of my own. I want the same for my children, for my daughters. I want them to embrace this wonderful role we have as women. I want them to see the joy of being a mother. Yet sometimes among life’s crazy and busy schedules I feel like I am not doing my part, until today.
The day really couldn’t get crazier. The ladies at Great Clips were probably counting down the minutes until my sweet little family would FINALLY leave! My children were loud and doing the usual “MOM she touched me!” My two year old “Cinderella” was climbing everywhere and touching everything…until she saw them. The basket of dum dum suckers! Just when I thought things couldn’t get worse! Of course she wanted the pink one and was letting everyone in the store know it. I tried many things to calm her down but was determined she had to sit and wait until we were finished before she could have it. After many attempts of consoling her I resulted to the car, THE BIG SCARY CAR! Every child hates being told “I am going to take you to the car!” I guess I should have used this line earlier because it actually worked. She quit crying and wining and actually sat still. I then moved her off my lap and sat her on the chair next to me. I needed to check on my other children who had finally made it to the chairs to cut off all their long locks. I turned to my daughter and asked her nicely to sit still and as I walked away and reminded her again to be quiet while adding “fold your arms.” She looked quietly up at me with a huge grin and quickly grasped her arms together.
I was just finishing up my discussion with the hairdresser about what number of clipper to use when I noticed my little princess. She was not only sitting quietly on the chair with her arms folded but she had her head bowed and was saying a prayer. I am not sure what she was praying for, for I only heard the AMEN. Maybe she was praying for a new mommy or the pink dum dum , but she was praying. Everyone in the store was quiet. I was not the only one who had heard or seen her sweet little prayer. Everyone was touched. I was touched. My sweet little two year old in her princess dress with ratty hair was praying. I realized at that moment that I am like my mother. I may not be perfect at everything. Dinner may not always be nutritious or on the table at 6 sharp and the house may not always be spotless but my children know that God hears and answers our prayers. They know they are children of God and that they are loved. I always saw my mother kneeling by her bed at night saying her prayers and knew that she was praying for me just like I am always praying for my children. I pray that they know how important they are and how much they are truly loved.
I think Abraham Lincoln sums it up best when he says…All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.










5 comments:
Oh, Liz - I LOVE it! So perfect, so touching, so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Good Luck!
*SNIFF* Seriously Liz, is there ANYTHING you can't do? You are truly a blessing to all those around you. You are an answer to my prayers and I feel blessed that you are your precious children (and Jake) are a part of my families lives. Amazing!
PS...Love the new blog!!! Another sleepless night??? How do you do it.....
Liz, that is the best! You will for sure be published! What a little sweetheart, and can I just say, you are such a fantastic mommy! Thank you for sharing what you wrote, I definately can't write anything for sure now, you blew everyone out of the wata! Way to go, you have to let me know how it turns out! I love the blog by the way...I need some help with mine:)
We all know what an awesome mom you are, but now we all know what a mesmerizing author you are! You have a gift for writing, thanks for sharing it with us.
Post a Comment