Sunday, April 20, 2008

26.2 FINISHED!




It is 6:00 in the morning and I can't sleep. Maybe this is because my legs hurt if they stay too still or maybe this is because I am on cloud 9... probably a little bit of both. I have a million things racing through my mind right now and can't believe that yesterday really happened...I can't believe it's over! This was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. At the beginning of the race I compared it to child birth and at that point it took a close second. I have to tell you at about mile 20 it took the lead! Yes I have had 4 children but come on I had an epidural! I will add that even as rewarding as this experience was it could never top the feeling of the day each of my children were born, that will always stay #1 in my book!!

So with the race now over and life headed back to normal I would like you to take a journey with me...a 26.2 mile journey.

The morning started early 4:00 a.m. I had been awake in bed for quite some time...Seriously did you think I could sleep!! I did my regular routine of peanut butter toast and Gatorade and was out the door. I met up with a couple of my running buddies, (who can I add made this whole experience worth it) and was out the door on my way to Gateway. We met up with our team and headed on trax to the starting point. At this point my stomach is nervous and I had to use the bathroom. Nerves and a whole Gatorade had finally gotten to me. I get off trax and then I see it. 1,000's of people standing in line behind 100's of porta potty's. You have got to be kidding me, don't they all know I need to go? Seriously 10 minutes til the race starts and at least 20 minutes or more to wait in line. I have to go so I jump in line, saying a little prayer that the line would just move a little faster!! It doesn't and the race starts and I am still in line...I am still waiting. After a few minutes of realizing this line is going nowhere I decide I will hit the first water stop and hope there is a porta potty there. Wow I never thought I would be hoping for a porta potty!

I start the race strong and feel great. 1,000's of people running together, running for themselves, a goal or someone else...pretty amazing...I wish I had a picture of what I saw! I keep running and all the while I am thinking SERIOUSLY WHERE IS THE BATHROOM!! Mile 2 1/2 I see it...Hallelujah...then I see the line! I don't care I am waiting...I am dying! 10 minutes later I am on my way with a couple from my team and my ipod in one ear. Jake had spent sometime downloading music for me for the race, which I soon learn he had downloaded every song we have on our computer. At about mile 3 or 4 the backyardigans started playing. I giggled and told my friend she would laugh if she knew what I was listening to, I sang a long for a few minutes and thought about my children who were to be at mile 13 waiting for me.

I hit sugar house park,Rocky started playing on my ipod and I shed my first tears. I was crying and I didn't even know why. I was feeling pretty good my knee wasn't hurting. I was 6 miles into the race and was just enjoying the whole experience.
The next few miles brought a few hills and a lot of wind. Not helpful when running up hill, not to mention there was something in the air and my breathing started to become harder. I couldn't tell at this point what it was but I didn't like it.
Still with my friend and her dad I kept going and besides trouble breathing was feeling great. I hit holladay blvd. and then it happened...my knee gave out. Just what I had been hoping wouldn't. I had be given a cortisone shot a few days earlier and up to this point thought it was working pretty well. I had a little ache here and there but nothing that could keep me from finishing. With my knee giving me a little trouble I fell behind my friend and was by myself for the first time. I didn't think this would be a problem since I knew my kids were going to be around the corner at mile 13.
I rounded the corner, passed mile 13 and no one. At this point I could barely breathe, my knee was killing me and I was crying! I am sure the people on the sidelines were thinking...It is only mile 13 and you are already crying. I could see my friend just a little a head and started to pick up my pace a little. I didn't want to be alone... I needed my family...where were they??

I picked up my cell phone (yes I ran with my phone...would you expect anything less) and called my sweet husband...no answer...I called again and tears started streaming down my cheeks when I heard his voice. "Where are you" I bawled "I need you" "Just around the corner" he replied. Getting around the corner felt like forever but when I rounded the corner I saw them...My cute husband and kids and two of our good friends Sam and Melissa. All waiting for me and all in bright blue matching "Team Heugly" t-shirts. (My sweet friend Renee had matching t-shirts made for my little cheering section, which in about 10 miles I would realize was not just my family.) O.K. now I am really bawling...I'm even crying right now writing about it. It was the most amazing site. They were cheering with bells and whistles and signs and it was all for me. I hugged them and kissed them and was on my way. Christian yelled..."Mom I am so proud of you" as he was jumping up and down, Alex gave me a dandelion and said "Mom I love you and I miss you." Just what I had needed!

Mile 15 I catch up with my friends and feel pretty good. My knee is still killing me and if I take a gu or even think about it I might throw up! The last half of the race my stomach was very nauseous and at many times I thought I might puke! SERIOUSLY not a good feeling!!

By mile 17 I had lost my friends again. My knee was now really hurting and I was feeling very sick. Until I see my family again. Once again just what I needed!! I can't tell you how much them being there helped me. I am not kidding when I say if it weren't for them cheering me on I wouldn't have made it! They seemed to be quite the inspiration for many. Many people looked for them and were just as excited as I was to see them around the corner.

Mile 20...I think...at this point my brain is playing tricks on me..my arms are wind burned and I have to run with them on my hips. If they even touch my shirt I am in pain!! I see my family again, cry, inform them I feel like vomiting and that I need my glide. Jake runs to the car and actually runs to catch me with it...what a sweetheart...and finally a little relief. I never thought I would know or experience chaffing but can I just tell you...not fun! At this point though I have caught up to my friends Dad. He was not doing well and has had to start walking. I walk with him for a while and feel bad when I have to start running.
Mile 22 I run into Jake again and he is just with his friend Sam. The kids were tired, chasing Mom all day is exhausting. Jake jokes he had to make many visits to McDonald's throughout the day to even keep going! Seriously though they were amazing. This was there 4th time finding me on the course and with the traffic so crazy that is amazing! They were awesome and my little lifesavers.

Mile 23 Liberty Park a glass of water a piece of gum and 3.2 more miles to go. My legs feel like they can barely move and my knee feels like it is going to explode!!! I walk a minute and try to pull myself together! I know it is almost over!

Mile 24 1/2 I run into my coach and again the tears start flowing. I tell him how happy I am to see him and how much pain I am in. He tells me there is no shame in crying and that he is sorry I am injured. He then tells me my cute family is once more just up ahead! MORE TEARS!! I love my family so much and they were once more just what I needed! This time I not only see them cheering me on but my good friend Leann and her kids. I start to cry more. She starts to run alongside me handing me a tissue and tells me she will see me at the finish line! Mile 25 and only 1.2 miles left to go! I turn the corner and another coach was there. At this point I am really hurting and explain to her that I can barely move my knee. She encourages me to walk a bit and I totally take her up on her offer. She leaves me with a 1/2 mile to go and I know that the finish is just around the corner!
I round the corner and start heading down the finish chute. 26.2 miles almost finished...what a journey...what an experience! Then I see them. Not just my cute husband and kids and Sam and Melissa but my parents and in-laws, my sister with her family and kids, my sister in-law with her children, my friend Renee and her family, My friend Leann with her children. All here for me. All here to see me reach my goal! I can't even tell you what an amazing site this was! All there, all in matching TEAM HEUGLY shirts(thanks Renee) and all cheering me on. More tears...tons of tears! I did it! Jake runs out and runs in with me, I cross the finish line and they put the medal around my neck! All worth it. I can barely walk and am exhausted but all worth it!

All worth it and all possible from all of the support and love from all of my family and friends! Not just today but throughout this whole experience. My sweet husband who never complained that Saturday's were spent running and that he was on his own, my friends who delivered ice to my porch and drinks and babysitting so I could train. My friends who called the week of to see how I was doing and if I wanted to go for pancakes to carbload. My sweet neighbors and friends who brought by Gatorade, gumballs and foot soak to encourage me and wish me luck. My parents and in-laws and many others who encouraged me along the way to keep working on my goal. All of the many friends and family members and neighbors who donated to the LLS. Without all of you this never would have been possible. Without all of you I never would have reached my goal! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I know there are many who have been touched by your generosity.
26.2 miles finished! What an experience I will never forget. This was one of the most amazing days of my life and if you were to ask me if I would do another...well I would have to respond with ask me in a few days! Seriously I can barely walk!

5 comments:

Gail said...

Wow! Great job Liz. I cried just reading that. You are amazing. What and awesome experience to have for the rest of your life!

Love, Gail

Michael and Natalia said...

Liz, Tash and I just got done reading about your run...and we shed a lot of tears as we went with you through your experience. We are so proud of what you have accomplished! We both wished we could have been there supporting you in person, but we (as I am sure a lot of others) were with you in spirit. You really touched our hearts...Thank you!

Love, The Howards

Joe and Marci said...

That was so cool to read, I felt like I was running with you (without any pain, windburn, sunburn, thirst, or sweating, of course). Thank you for sharing that with us - what an amazing accomplishment!!

Lisa, F is for Fischer said...

YOU are incredible, Liz!!!! YOU did it!!! I am so glad that we met and were able to share this experience with one another! Thank you for waiting and cheering for me when I came in an HOUR later!

Lisa, F is for Fischer said...

Hey Liz, I wasn't really sure how to put this experience into words, but after reading your beautiful post, I felt inspired. I just decided to follow in your footsteps (like I've literally been doing for 4 months) and retrace my journey. Even though my experience wasn't quite as emotional as yours, I still HAVE to blog about it! Thank you.

FAMILY
I love my family so much. To be apart of a family like mine is so divine, where love is shown hurt is shared our love for each other is never impaired. We talk we laugh we cry, but we are a family and we do it all together. For as a family we do it all as one you hurt one you hurt all and as a family unit we will all stand tall. For we are family a family full of strength a family full of love a family no one can touch. That is why I love my family so much.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.

Heugly Visitors