Sunday, March 9, 2008

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials


I had the most amazing experience today at Church and just wanted to share. We have this new family that has moved in across the street and they all spoke in Sacrament meeting today. First their 18 year old daughter Macey spoke and shared her life story. She was born 17 weeks early, weighed just over 1 pound and was given a very small chance of living. She dropped to 15 ounces and the doctors told her parents that she needed a very risky surgery to live. Some of the doctors believed this surgery would save her and others believed it wouldn't. Her parents turned to prayer and their ward family. The ward had a fast for her and her parents decided to go ahead with the surgery. Obviously their fasting and prayers were answered for this young woman is here today. However her life has not been easy she has had to endure many trials. It took me a moment to realize she was reading her whole talk in braille. She is completely blind in her right eye and 90% blind in her left. She does not let this stop her though, she plays the drums in a rock band, sings in her high school madrigals, can shoot baskets and ride a bike. She is such an inspiration and a very beautiful young woman.

After her talk, her family sang all 3 verses of I am a child of God and in the middle Macey, sang a verse she had changed the words to. She sang I am a child of God and though I cannot see, I know that if I do his will I'll see with him once more. What an amazing young woman with such a strong testimony of our Saviour and his great love for her.

I realized today that our trials are what shape us into the people we are. I received an email from my mother in law this week and she talked about this very thing. She said ... OUR LIFE IS NOTHING BUT LOTS OF MOMENTS (I add trials).. AND HOW WE CHOOSE TO HANDLE THEM WILL DETERMINE WHETHER WE ARE HAPPY OR NOT.She then added...DO I WANT THE PRESENT MOMENT TO BE MY FRIEND OR ENEMY? YOU DECIDE WHAT KIND OF RELATIONSHIP YOU WANT TO HAVE WITH IT. WHEN YOU BECOME FRIENDLY WITH IT NO MATTER WHAT DISGUISE IT COMES IN YOU WILL BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS. PEOPLE BECOME HELPFUL, CIRCUMSTANCES COOPERATIVE. ONE DECISION CHANGES YOUR ENTIRE REALITY..
What a perfect example this young girl was of this today. She could be bitter and angry for the trials she was given but instead has risen above and has chosen to live the best life she possibly can. What a wonderful example she is to all of us.

1 comment:

Lisa, F is for Fischer said...

Thanks Liz. I just read your blog and noticed that we were both a bit inspired today. Have a good week!

FAMILY
I love my family so much. To be apart of a family like mine is so divine, where love is shown hurt is shared our love for each other is never impaired. We talk we laugh we cry, but we are a family and we do it all together. For as a family we do it all as one you hurt one you hurt all and as a family unit we will all stand tall. For we are family a family full of strength a family full of love a family no one can touch. That is why I love my family so much.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.

Heugly Visitors