Monday, February 11, 2008

Liz's Race For A Cure

About 3 months ago I decided I wanted to run a marathon. I have a never been a runner and for a few weeks thought I was crazy, not to mention very sore. I have recently finished running 14 miles and will be running 15 at the end of the month. I have been very sore and tired but am grateful I can run and grateful to my family who are all being so supportive. A couple of weeks a go I was at lunch with my sister Katie. It had been one of those days when the kids were just driving us both CRAZY. We had stopped for lunch(which we now know was a bad idea) and the kids were not being very cooperative. My sister made the comment that some days being a mom is just not fun and today is one of those days. Sammie my six year old heard this and told Katie she just needed to take a day off. She then proceeded to tell her that my mom takes off every Saturday and my Dad does all of the work. Saturday is the day I do all of my long runs and my family has been so awesome! I couldn't do this without there love and support and without the help of my team.
Of course I am not doing this alone. Do you think I would really wake up at 6:00 on a Saturday if I didn't have someone to answer to?

To help me cross the finish line I have joined with Team in Training (TNT), an organization that is providing me with a great training program including professional coaches and wonderful mentors. TNT is a part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS), a non-profit health organization dedicated to finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma. This organization also provides patient and family support.
I am blessed that I can run this distance (26.2 miles for you who don't know), and that my family is so healthy. Not everyone can say that. Leukemia is the No. 1 killer of children between the ages of 1 and 14. Not only children are attacked; adults are diagnosed with Leukemia 10 times as frequently as children.
I have committed to do what I can help to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's mission of finding a cure and saving lives. I have set a goal to raise $1,700 , working with TNT, Team in training. Over 75% of the 1,700 will go towards research and patient services, as will 100% of the amount I raise above and beyond my goal. Will you please help me? Your support will not only encourage me, but will go towards finding a cure for these diseases which affect so many people, some who may even be close to you.
Please visit my Team in Training webpage at: http://www.active.com/donate/tntdms/lizheugly

Please check back often as I will keep you updated on my progress. I have never been a runner and am surprising myself each day.

1 comment:

Miss & Sam said...

Liz, I know you did all the site and not Jake so I will give you the credit. This is a great blog and i look forward to reading more comments about your family.

"who would have thought that you would be running a marathon and blogging all in the same year"

FAMILY
I love my family so much. To be apart of a family like mine is so divine, where love is shown hurt is shared our love for each other is never impaired. We talk we laugh we cry, but we are a family and we do it all together. For as a family we do it all as one you hurt one you hurt all and as a family unit we will all stand tall. For we are family a family full of strength a family full of love a family no one can touch. That is why I love my family so much.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.

Heugly Visitors